To help you use our patent and scientific information effectively, Thomson Reuters produces a range of User Guides, all written by specialists in their field.
General User Guides for Derwent World Patents Index (DWPI) and Derwent Patent Citation Index (DPCI) can be downloaded from the links below.
Content specific guides can be downloaded from the links opposite.
Quoting or copying of material from these publications for educational purposes in encouraged, providing that acknowledgement is made that Thomson Reuters is the source of the material.
Derwent World Patents Index (DWPI)
- DWPI Classification Guide
Unique classification system that consistently categorizes patent documents for all technologies.
- DWPI Patentee Codes Look-up Tool
Search for DWPI Patentee Codes
- DWPI Title Terms
Used to simplify the searching of DWPI value-add titles. All given terms are collected under a MAIN TERM and listed in this guide
- ProQuest Prosheet
- STN User Guide
- Questel Fact Sheet
Derwent Patents Citation Index
- CPI Chemical Indexing Guidelines
- CPI Chemical Indexing User Guide
- CPI Manual Codes
- Chemistry Resource on STN
- CPI Plasdoc Coding Systems
- Polymer Indexing Dictionary
- Polymer Indexing Hierarchy
- Polymer Indexing Reference Manual
- Polymer Indexing System Description
- Polymer Indexing Thesaurus
Life Science Specific